- Dear Forum Members and Supporters, Social evening Our first Social event, a ‘Bring and Buy a Book’ evening on 28 June was a great success. About 20 people came to The Green Rooms in Wood Green to have a chat and a drink and to meet other members. We’re hoping to have another one in the autumn – we’ll keep you posted when the date is decided. If you have any suggestions for other social activities just let us know. Membership Update Haringey Over 50s Forum (H050s) membership continues to grow but there are still outstanding membership fees owed for this year. We currently have no other income and rely on membership fees to keep the group going, to enable us to organise activities and to be a stronger and more effective voice for older people in the borough. If you haven’t already subscribed for this year please contact email@example.com or telephone 0208 341 2238.
July/August Events and Diary Dates Tuesday, July 11
- Tottenham Pensioners Action Group monthly meeting (meets every second Tuesday of the month) Venue: Tottenham Leisure Centre, 1 Philip Lane, N15 4JA Time: 1:30pm to 3:30pm Speakers: To be confirmed Do you have a disability and have problems with travel? Are you over the age of 65 and experiencing disability or a long-term health condition and willing to volunteer some time to help out with a research project? Philip Corrigan from Kings College, London, is researching travel difficulties faced by those with a disability aged over 65. It is hoped that the information produced by this research will help to make London more accessible in the future. If you are interested in taking part in this research project, or to find out more, please contact Philip on 0207 848 7862 or 07944 127702 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
JULY Wednesday, July 12 –
- Free Talk on Wills and Power of Attorney Venue: Protheroe House, 9 College Road, Tottenham, N17 9FA Time: 6.00pm – 7.30pm Rebekah Hillman, Legal Consultant & Probate Practitioner from Hillman Legal Partnerships will be holding an information session and Q&A on Wills and Lasting Power of Attorney. This is a free event open to the community. Refreshments will be served. Protheroe House is a collection of independent living apartments with onsite 24/7 care for rent to over 55s. You will be welcome to tour Protheroe afterwards. RSVP to email@example.com or phone 0207 428 1144
Wednesday, July 19 –
- Hornsey Pensioners Action Group monthly meeting (meets every third Wednsday of the month). The subject of this meeting will be ‘Healthy Lungs and Air Quality’. Venue: Hornsey Parish Church Hall, Cranley Gardens, N10 3AH Time: 1:30pm to 3:30pm Speakers: Ishen Stewart-Dowding will speak about air quality in Haringey and Aislin Lee from the London Sustainability Exchange (Waltham Forest), will speak on combatting air pollution.
Thursday, July 27 –
- Jackson Lane’s Social Lunch (Last Thursday of the month) Lovely 2 course hot lunch for only £5. Plus entertainment and speakers Please note: It is really helpful to give the organisers an idea of numbers as soon as possible as lunches are becoming popular – so do book in advance. Please also let them know, in advance, if any vegetarian meals are required. Wheelchair spaces must be booked in advance and discussed with Stuart over the phone. Due to space we can only accommodate 3 wheelchair spaces. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 8347 2411 if you have any further enquires or would like to book.
Friday, July 28 –
- Cinema Club for the Over 50s. Venue: Bernie Grant Arts Centre, Town Hall Approach Rd, London N15 4RX Time: 1.45 pm Cost: £4.90 includes refreshments Film: The Amazing Nina Simone Please book at by emailing email@example.com or leave a message on 0208 341 2238 . There are only 44 seats and those who reserve seats have first priority. The Cinema Club is now becoming well established at the Bernie Grant Arts Centre in Tottenham. We expect The Amazing Nina Simone, to be very popular so booking is highly recommended to avoid disappointment. This 2015 American documentary film by director Jeff L. Lieberman, details the life, legacy and musical accomplishments of singer, musician, pianist, songwriter and Civil Rights activist, Nina Simone. Through interviews with over 50 of the subject’s friends, family, band members, lovers and fellow activists, the film pays tribute to Nina Simone’s bold statements, iconic style, courageous protests and lasting songs. Limited disabled parking is available at BGAC and MUST be booked – please contact Joyce on 0208 888 0579 for details. The entrance charge for the Cinema Club £4.90 which includes, tea, coffee, sandwiches and cake. HO50s Forum supporters who are not members are welcome to join at any of our events or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and requesting a membership form. Just a reminder that you may be a HO50’s member but a fee of £5 is requested yearly. Do remember to pay. We’re happy to check for you if you’re not sure
Wednesday, Aug 3 –
- Hornsey Vale’s Over 50’s Lunch (First Wednesday of the month) Venue: Hornsey Vale – 60 Mayfield Rd, N8 9LP Time: 1pm to 3pm Cost £5 per person To book: phone 0208 348 4612 or email email@example.com Two course home cooked lunch (plus takeaways available after lunch) Meat and vegetarian options always available. Special diets can be catered for – please phone to book and discuss dietary requirements e.g. gluten free, diary free etc.- Large groups can be catered for with advanced notice. Book in advance where possible but we can take a few walk in’s on the day. There is an activity after lunch e.g. talk/discussion, quiz, arts and crafts etc
Monday, Aug 7 –
- Haringey Over 50s Committee Meeting Venue: Chestnuts Community Centre – 280 St Ann’s Rd, West Green, N15 5BN Time: 11am to 1pm Coming up in the autumn….. HO50’s Meeting – ‘Better Public Transport in Haringey.’ The date and venue is yet to be arranged. We will keep you posted as soon as we have the details. Bolder Voices is a new drama workshops at Jacksons Lane for older people starting in September. If you’re over 55, free on Thursday mornings and would like to meet other people and try some new things – why not? It’s a great way to meet new people and build your confidence. Come along for a session and see what you think. What have you got to lose? To find out more or book your place you can call Stuart on 020 8347 2411 or email firstname.lastname@example.org